Dan Sadler, Supervisor Accessibility presented and provided an overview on the Multi-Year Accessibility Plan. Mr. Sadler spoke about the key commitments and achievements for 2020 based on the customer service, general requirements, information and communication, employment, transportation and design of public spaces standards.
Members of the Committee spoke to the matter and raised the following questions and concerns:
- Noted that accessibility guidelines should apply across the board;
- Increase Winter Maintenance on snow and curb clearing;
- Ensure accessibility signals at intersections are wheelchair accessible;
- Review elevator standards at transit terminals;
- Applauded the move to ZOOM as the virtual meeting platform for AAC meetings;
- Applauded hiring interpreters for Mayor’s Press Conferences; and
- Applauded the accessibility imagery in the Plan as it represents the community and is identifiable.
Mr. Sadler responded to the questions from the Committee.
Naz Husain, Chair requested to schedule a session post the Pandemic to discuss the biggest accessibility challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Anita Binder, Stakeholder Member, inquired about the affect of the pandemic on accessible employment and how the City of Mississauga is addressing those concerns. Mr. Sadler responded by noting that he would provide a follow up response.
DIRECTION to Accessibility staff to schedule a meeting with the Members of the Accessibility Advisory Committee to conduct a deep dive discussion regarding the accessibility challenges faced during the COVID-19 Pandemic. DIRECTION to Accessibility staff to provide a response pertaining to the City of Mississauga’s approach to impact on accessible employment during the pandemic.